BETH ISRAEL MEDICAL CENTER
Beth Israel Medical Center has been serving New Yorkers since 1889. Today Beth Israel, one of New York’s premier hospitals, is the Manhattan campus of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. We treat the full spectrum of medical and surgical conditions in an environment that promotes safety, compassion and the highest quality of care.
We care for hundreds of thousands of patients each year through three locations, as well as through a large network of ambulatory care sites. Our locations include Manhattan’s Petrie Division, a 900-bed tertiary care hospital on East 16th Street, and Brooklyn’s King’s Highway Division, a 212-bed community hospital in Midwood and Phillips Ambulatory Care Center, a modern outpatient primary and specialty care and ambulatory surgery facility. We have recently created two new Medical-Surgical units and we’ve also completed our new, state-of-the-art Emergency Department. In 2010, we opened the Beth Israel Comprehensive Cancer Center, which is part of a major expansion of our cancer care services.
We are an innovator in providing patients access to our health care with 24/7 availability at our acute care hospitals as well as extended hours and weekend availability at many of our ambulatory care sites. We are also an innovator in the technology field. In 2009, Beth Israel was recognized by Hospital & Health Networks as one of the country’s “most wired” hospitals.
If these are things you didn’t know about Beth Israel, we invite you to learn more about New York’s best-kept secret.
- Ambulatory Care Center encompassing 50+ specialty areas
- Continuum Cancer Centers of New York
- Cardiac Care
- Center for Health & Healing – Integrative Medicine
- Chemical Dependency Treatment
- Emergency Services
- Friedman Diabetes Institute
- HIV/AIDS Services
- Louis Armstrong Center for Music & Medicine
- Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program (largest in U.S.)
- Mirkin Department of Neurology
- Maternal Child Health
- Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- Pain Medicine & Palliative Care
- Sports Medicine
- Psychiatry & Behavioral Health Sciences
- First Avenue at 16th Street, Manhattan (Petrie Division)
- 3201 Kings Highway at East 32nd Street, Brooklyn (King’s Highway Division)
- 10 Union Square East, Manhattan (Phillips Ambulatory Care Center)
- 325 West 15th Street, Manhattan (BI Comprehensive Cancer Center, West Side Campus).
Awards and Recognition
- Quality and Patient Safety: Recipient of the Healthcare Association of New York’s (HANYS) Pinnacle Award for Quality and Patient Safety and the Island Peer Review Organization (IPRO) Patient Safety Award—both for our success in reducing rates of hospital-acquired infection.
- Human Rights Foundation Award:Recognized by a new health care equality analysis from the Human Rights Commission Foundation as leading the nation with a perfect score in policies for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
- Cancer Center Accreditation: We are a member of Continuum Cancer Centers of New York—the only hospital system in New York State with network accreditation from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer.
- Head & Neck Service Among Best in the Country: Recognized by US News & World Report’s 2009-10 Best Hospitals issue as one of the top 50 Ear, Nose & Throat services in the country.
- Orthopedic Recognition: Beth Israel was named “Best in Manhattan,” by HealthGrades, the nation’s largest independent quality assessment organization, for Orthopedic Surgery in 2008.
- Joint Replacement and Spine Surgery: Beth Israel was named a “Premium Specialty Center” by United Healthcare for total joint replacement and spine surgery.
- "Gold Plus" Award for Stroke: Beth Israel was a recipient of the American Heart Association’s/American Stroke Association’s “Get with the Guidelines” Gold Plus Award for excellence in stroke in both 2009 and 2010.
- Bachmann-Strauss Dystonia Center of Excellence: A designated Bachmann-Strauss Dystonia Center of Excellence since 2009, we are the first center in the nation to be honored with this designation—a tribute to our excellence in patient care, medical education and translational and genetic research.
- American Pain Society Excellence Award: Beth Israel was a winner of the prestigious 2009 Center of Excellence Award from the American Pain Society.
- "Most Wired" Hospital: Beth Israel was recognized by Hospital & Health Networks as one of the country’s “Most Wired” hospitals in 2009.
to learn more about Nursing at Beth Israel.